Most of us spend as much time at our desks as we do in our homes. If that’s the case, we should all put some time and effort into making sure our workspace is as happy and motivating as possible. There are tons of cool products out there to choose from when designing your office. We’ve put together a list of the top six essentials to make any workspace awesome.
1. Greenery – No matter what your office or desk situation is, having a plant around is the number one way to make it cozier. Research shows that plants lower workplace stress and enhance productivity by up to 12 percent. Plants are natural air-purifiers, meaning that your little plant could keep you from catching that cold going around the office! Additionally, plants can be very calming, while at the same time stimulating critical thinking and creativity.
2. Good Smells – Aromatherapy is totally on-trend right now, and for good reason! Aromas have been used for over 6,000 years to affect mood, and your desk area could definitely use some ancient healing. Choose an invigorating scent, like orange or rosemary, or opt for stress-relief and relaxation with lavender and peppermint. Inhaling essential oils triggers your limbic system and can activate the immune system, affect blood pressure, and stimulate digestion. In general, aromatherapy can help maintain your overall well-being.
3. Pictures – When you’re spending long hours at work, it’s important to be surrounded by the people you love. Since your boss would likely disapprove of bringing your kids or grandmother to work with you, displaying pictures of friends and family can be a great solution. Or maybe your motivation is a trip to Italy – hang a photo to remind yourself of that goal! No matter how much you love your job, it is always helpful to have quick reminders of why you work so hard.
4. Candy – Not everything on your desk is for you. Having a jar of candy is a fun way to encourage coworkers to stop and say hi! You can change out the type of candy seasonally to add festive flare to your work space, or become a reliable place to grab a mint after lunch. And, once in a while, you can even sneak a candy for yourself. Have fun choosing the candy container, too. It can be as expressive or as traditional as you like!
5. Color – Most standard office supplies and furniture tend to be neutral and unassuming. If you want to spice up your desk, bring in pops of colors to express your style! Try a new mouse pad, some purple sticky notes, or a small piece of art for your wall. A few colorful pieces can completely change the character of your work space. Plus, a lime-green stapler can make creating packets a bit more fun.
6. Zen – When deadlines are approaching and tensions are high, it’s important to take a step back and breathe. Have something on your desk that helps you calm your mind and focus for a moment. Grab a stress ball and flex your grip in rhythm with deep breaths. Tend a Zen garden, figure a Rubik’s cube, or watch sand fall from an hourglass. Keep your item easily visible so that every time you see it, you take a deep breath and remember that this too shall pass.
Every moment you spend at your desk is an opportunity to evaluate your work space and spend some time sprucing it up. They make great gifts and giveaway items.
Mini Bamboo Blossom Kit, Item# IDMPC-HLZNZ
Juniper Bonsai Tree,Item# IJIKC-IJNLP
Water Beads Desk Air Freshener,*no longer available
Essential Oil Gift Set, Item# PGNPC-KWADV
Mini Photo Globe, Item# BFPKD-KLGYG
Candy Jar, Item# QKNSF-IIXUU
Jelly Bean Dispenser, Item# DINME-HCPQX
Stapler, Item# GMNOD-KAPYS
Retro Alarm Clock, Item# UGQSG-JJXLD
Lungs Stress Reliever, Item# YLNPE-ELPFX
Chinese Iron Balls and Card Holder, Item# JJRKF-BSAYQ